Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ooey, Gooey, Oobleck

I did this activity with my first graders last Friday, so I thought Piper would enjoy playing with it too. Knowing that she loves to get messy, I knew this would be right up her alley. I did not add the food coloring to her mixture, and it was a little thin at first, but eventually it was the perfect consistency. If you have never done oobleck before, you have to try it to understand how very cool it is. I use it to teach about solids and liquids in the classroom, although it is actually neither one. It is a non-Newtonian substance (feel free to Google that if you really want to know more)




Oobleck is based on a Dr. Seuss book called Bartholomew and the Oobleck. In the book it was really bad if you ate the oobleck, but our oobleck was made out of cornstarch and water, and was harmless. I thought it wouldn't taste very good and Piper would keep it out of her mouth, but not my child! She decided it must be dinner and tasted it every chance she could.





Here is the recipe if you are inspired to get messy yourself.

Oobleck Recipe

2 cups of corn starch, 3 drops of green food coloring, enough water to make a thick mixture (about the texture of pancake batter) I usually measure equal amounts of water and corn starch, but mix water in slowly.






3 comments:

Jeni said...

I love that book! This stuff is awesome! I want to play w/ it. :) haha I might try it w/ Jaxin....but I'm pretty sure he'll hate it and freak out. He still doesn't enjoy getting dirty very often. I thought it was funny when Piper tried to rub it in her eye and you were like, "Seriously?!"

FindingAnge said...

You are one brave Mama!!! LOL I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try that with my boys... maybe when the weather warms up!

Hannah said...

I used to love that stuff. Sophie would hate it, unfortunately...maybe we'll try againin the summer, at least one of us will enjoy it!